Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The Family Sport

My husband started golfing on a weekly basis recently. One day he said that I should start golfing so we can do something together when he retires.

We're both in our mid-30's. Retirement seems lightyears away for me. But when he asked me what I was going to do when he retires, I couldn't very well give him a ready answer. So it was decided that I should take up golf as well.

Our daughter has already shown some interest in golf. She's been doing "Golf Camp" at home with her dad since summer started. For a short while I seemed the lone holdout for this sport in our family. That is until it was decided for me that I should get involved. ;-)

The problem with golf is that it's a very exclusive sport. Unlike basketball or soccer, they don't like you to tag along just to watch your beloved ones play. So the only way to get involved is to play the sport yourself.

So I got books and video tape from the library on putting. I practiced my putt shots with my family. On the 4th of July last week, we went to my in-laws' and practiced our drive on their lawn and left unsightly patches on the ground. I got an almost-blister on a left-hand finger and felt the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome on the right wrist.

But hey! According to my dear hubby, I'm getting better! I still need to practice around 60 putt shots a day, if I want to be any good. But I'm gonna try and make him happy. The family that golfs together, stays together. Right? ;-)

No comments: